Skip to main content

Indianisms for Hollywood

Raging Bull writer Paul Schrader, who will direct SRK-starrer Xtreme City, learnt some hard truths about India from producer Anubhav Sinha during his first scripting session, including why you can't woo your friend's sister and get away with it easily

When Hollywood writer-director Paul Schrader met director Anubhav Sinha two years ago through a common friend and expressed interest in working on a cross-cultural film, Sinha responded with enthusiasm. "Paul is so modest. He sent me DVDs of all the films he had directed. He assumed that I may not have seen his work. Who does something like this?" says Sinha of the writer of films such as Taxi Driver and Raging Bull and director of noteworthy films such as American Gigolo. And that's how Xtreme City, an action drama based on the underworld in Mumbai was born.



Schrader promptly flew down to India for an "orientation trip" to visit Dharavi, Sion and Koliwada besides other parts of Mumbai, "The idea was to develop the story -- in India, we don't have a concept of developing a film story." The Ra.One director also recalls how the story graph developed. "The day Paul narrated the story to me, he said he was stressed. I was like 'What!' I was so taken aback but I realised this is why they are who they are. He had written the entire graph of the story on a paper; I took that piece of paper from him, asked him to autograph it and have framed it on my wall now."

When things progressed to scripting, the first draft did not take off instantly admits Sinha. "The Indian context was a little weak. Paul didn't know India that well; whatever he knew of India was largely by watching Hindi films. So I asked Mushtaq Sheikh to help him. Mushtaq and I spent a weeks in the US. We talked about differing cultures."

Sinha also remembers teaching Schrader some Indianisms. "Paul had written a scene in where the hero tries to woo his friend's sister. We told Paul that this doesn't happen in India often. A friend's sister is like a sister. Paul was shocked. I told him that here, even if I want to marry my friend's sister, I have to inform my friend before telling the girl. The friend may react saying: 'How could you see my sister in that light?' I believe Sanjay Dutt had a tiff with Kumar Gaurav when he got to know that he was seeing his sister Namrata."

Buzz has it that Aamir Khan too will work with internationally-renowned directors. Aamir Khan's name has been linked to a Danny (Slumdog Millionaire) Boyle project based on Suketu Mehta's bestselling book. As for the crucial question of casting Shah Rukh Khan in Xtreme City, Sinha hedges: "The film will happen when Paul and I agree that we are on the same page. Only then will we decide whom to cast in the film. Shah Rukh just knows that I'm working on these lines with Paul. I had introduced both of them even before I had signed Paul."

For now, the project is in the development stage. Sinha updates us: "Yesterday, Paul sent me a mail detailing how he was thinking of moving the story forward." Sinha, who is known for his towering ambition, says, "The script is not ready yet. Paul is currently directing another film and I am busy with Ra.One. After we finish our respective films, we will start talking again in earnest."

Source: http://www.mid-day.com/specials/2010/dec/191210-shah-rukh-khan-xtreme-city-paul-schrader-raging-bull.htm




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being SRK: The ultimate reality TV show

It's a job most Indians would die for — shadowing Shah Rukh Khan wherever he goes. For the last two months, that's exactly what a TV crew has been doing, following the country's biggest star from South Africa to America to London to Mumbai — all for the making of a unique six-part series on the actor, to be telecast on lifestyle channel Discovery Travel & Living. "It's an inner world-outer world kind of documentary," said Khan, speaking exclusively to HT. "Hopefully, the parts that people will get to see of me — at work and at other places — will shed some light on how films and film stars work and offer an insight into how I do things." Khan said he has got to know the crew quite well ("They have been very unobtrusive"). For Discovery Travel & Living, this series will be one of the biggest global productions to come out of India and will be shown all over the world. "We haven't yet decided when we're going to telec

ShahRukh Khan Forum

hi,All SRK fanz just check out the newly launched ShahRukh khan Discussion forum and stay upto date with latest news of SRK...Register now http://www.shahrukh.itrello.com/forums/ http://shahrukhkhan.fotopic.net