Skip to main content

What you didn't know about Shah Rukh Khan















Shah Rukh Khan's close friend Mushtaq Shiekh does not tire of writing about him. After Still Reading Khan -- a thick biographical book on the superstar that weighs a good four kilos -- Mushtaq's ready with Shah Rukh Can.

The new book is smaller, and costs only Rs 399. It is available in English, Hindi, Arabic, French and German languages.

Mushtaq tells Patcy N what to expect from the book, and also reveals some yet-unknown traits of Shah Rukh Khan. Over to him:

Was it necessary to write another book on Shah Rukh, after the thick, hard-bound Still Reading Khan?

I have known Shah Rukh for a long time. This book is about the journey of a man, who came with dreams in his heart. It wasn't a very plausible dream but he fulfilled it. And that's the most fascinating thing about him.

I personally wanted to understand the journey of the man and that was possible because of my proximity with him. I have met many actors and directors in my life but I felt Shah Rukh's life is very interesting and needed to be told.

Both the books are about the same man and the same life. Yet, they're very different from each other. Still Reading Khan is a coffee table book, where the emphasis was on photographs. That book is like a film; I told the story through pictures. But this time, I tell the story with words.

Shah Rukh Can was bound to happen because most of his fans are youngsters. A coffee table book is expensive [Still Reading Khan costs Rs 2,995], and most college-going kids cannot buy this book with their pockey money. I needed a book that could reach the masses.

I've updated the new book with IPL 2, his new ads, and his films, Rab Ne Bana De Jodi and Billu.

In the picture: Hrithik Roshan, Gauri Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, Mushtaq Shiekh, Suzanne Khan, Chunkey Pandey, Farah Khan.


Shah Rukh Can photographs courtesy: Mushtaq Shiekh | Publisher: Om Book International


'There may be a Still Reading Khan 2 and 3'

What is Shah Rukh Can about?

This book starts from his childhood like the previous one. I follow a linear pattern here as well. The most important part of Shah Rukh's story is when he was not in Mumbai. People want to know his childhood, his youth, his parents, his dreams and aspirations, his loneliness, his sister, finding himself as an orphan when his parents died, his home snatched away by his relatives...

Not many have written about this, so this portion is my favourite part.

Why is it called Shah Rukh Can?

I cannot write a book until I've got a very good title for it. So much has been written on him that all the metaphors, similes and puns have been used. I waited for about four months before I got this title.

SRK's fans know everything there is to know about him, thanks to his interviews before his films' release. Is there a need to compile information on him?

Yes. Those are generic interviews done on the films, and the media misses out on many things. That's my advantage, as I am closely associated with most of his films. I have information others don't.

Plus, everybody talks about the film from a fan's point of view. I am giving you Shah Rukh's own view.

The beauty of Shah Rukh Khan is that there is so much that the man does everyday that I feel he reaches the moon and comes back everyday. If there is another book after two years, I will have enough material.

Are you planning another book?

Not now. But I say this after every book, as it's an exhausting experience. But he's worthy of 40 books.

'My favourite chapter is when Shah Rukh's friends try to analyse him'


Do you want to write a series?

No. I wrote Shah Rukh's biography when he's still very young. There is almost 50 percent of his life still remaining. So there may be a Still Reading Khan 2 and 3.

Don't you think too much has been written on Shah Rukh already?

No. He's the best candidate on whom so much can be written. I don't write books to keep them in my home; I have the most saleable protagonist on earth. That excites people to pick up a copy of the copy. As long as there is a buyer, I will give them what they want.

It's already hit the stands, and the sale has been so good that the second edition has already gone to print.

Does SRK ever feel that he is over-exposed?

No, I don't think so. If that were the case, he would not have endorsed the books. He is glad that there are some authentic books on him.

What was the toughest part about writing Shah Rukh Can?

When you write a biography, it's not fiction. It's about the life led by a particular person. So it's a scary proposition. So you have to be honest. You cannot bend or distort facts, as they can change the person completely. I was walking on a thin line, and that was my biggest challenge. I have tried to be honest. I tried not to highlight the pimples but concentrate on the dimples.

The other difficult part of writing this book was that maybe there was something I didn't think was important but it may be important for a fan who didn't know him. I know him very well but I don't know whether a fan in Dehradun would like to know a certain fact about him. I had to draw a line and become a fan. I had to have an eye for detail.

'SRK's the best candidate on whom so much can be written'

Has Shah Rukh Khan read the book?

Yes. He's not someone who likes to watch his own movies, so it's awkward for him to read a book on his own life. But he has gone through the book and has liked it very much. He thinks I have done a good job and has given me a testimonial in the book saying that if someone of Mushtaq's calibre is writing a book on me, my book can wait [Shah Rukh is currently penning his own autobiography].

What's your favourite chapter?

There are two chapters that I love. Mere paas maa hai was in the previous book as well. But I have edited and added to it. I love it because Shah Rukh was very close to his mother. There is an emotional connect. It can make me cry even though I have written it.

The other favourite chapter is when Shah Rukh's friends try to analyse him. His friends from the industry, school and college talk about him. The most important bit is Aditya Chopra talking about Shah Rukh and his films and performances because you don't get Aditya Chopra talking otherwise.


'Shah Rukh has the biggest library that an actor has'

Any favourite photographs in this book?

Yes, there's a baby picture of Shah Rukh [left]. It's a rare picture. I often joke that it's the only picture where you can catch Shah Rukh nude.

There's another picture of Aryan, Suhana, Gauri and him which I had clicked in Panchgani.

What new facts will you be giving the readers in this book?

Many things. His life is like an ocean. But there are things that fans don't know like Shah Rukh always reads the entire manual of any gizmo before he opens them. He has ashtrays all over his house, with scary one-liners written on them -- like 'This ash is cancerous.'

He loves books and has the biggest library that an actor has. He always wanted to be a cricketer but a back and knee injury spoilt his chances of becoming a cricketer.

Which other film personality would you like to write a book on?

Hrithik Roshan. He has a great story, like Shah Rukh. I'm a sucker for rags-to-riches tales, and Hrithik's is like that. He was his father Rakesh Roshan's assistant, and now, look where he has reached. From a stammering, no-confidence person, he's become a handsome and confident man with a great body.

What are you writing on next?

My next book is on Bollywood -- about the people behind the camera. Then, there's a supernatural fiction called The Indian Bride. I am also writing Anubhav Sinha's Ra One, starring Shah Rukh, and a television show called Mata Ki Chowki, Subh Kadam

Photo Source : Mushtaq Sheikh www.shiekhspear.com

http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2009/apr/20sli1-mushtaq-shiekh-on-shah-rukh-can.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being SRK: The ultimate reality TV show

It's a job most Indians would die for — shadowing Shah Rukh Khan wherever he goes. For the last two months, that's exactly what a TV crew has been doing, following the country's biggest star from South Africa to America to London to Mumbai — all for the making of a unique six-part series on the actor, to be telecast on lifestyle channel Discovery Travel & Living. "It's an inner world-outer world kind of documentary," said Khan, speaking exclusively to HT. "Hopefully, the parts that people will get to see of me — at work and at other places — will shed some light on how films and film stars work and offer an insight into how I do things." Khan said he has got to know the crew quite well ("They have been very unobtrusive"). For Discovery Travel & Living, this series will be one of the biggest global productions to come out of India and will be shown all over the world. "We haven't yet decided when we're going to telec

ShahRukh Khan Forum

hi,All SRK fanz just check out the newly launched ShahRukh khan Discussion forum and stay upto date with latest news of SRK...Register now http://www.shahrukh.itrello.com/forums/ http://shahrukhkhan.fotopic.net