Skip to main content

'Sajdaa' is Perfect: Richa

Not every singer can be heard on scores of albums every year, but frequency is not an apt parameter to gauge talent either. Richa Sharma made every one sit up and take note of her powerful vocals with 'Ni Main Samajh Gai' (Taal).

Though appreciation has always come her way, her unconventional voice is not the kind that can be featured for every other movie. Yet, every time she lends her voice to a song, success is guaranteed. 'Show Me Jalwa' (Aaja Nachle), 'Daras Bina Nahin Chain' (Saawariya) and 'Jag Soona Soona Laage' (Om Shanti Om) are just a few examples that stand testimony to her singing prowess.

However, her rendition of 'Sajdaa' (My Name Is Khan) has put her into a different league altogether. The song is creating waves for various – and the right – reasons: Shot beautifully on SRK and Kajol, the Sufi number has been composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy and has near perfect vocals by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and Richa.

We spoke to Richa about her latest success, what music means to her, and the music director she is yet to develop a rapport with.
What does music mean to you? Is it an art of expression or a medium to fame?
It might sound very clichéd but for me, music means worship. It's certainly a medium or a tool to attain success, but at least for me, it is a path to reach the Almighty. Yes, success is important, but it can never overshadow my ultimate goal of reaching God through my music.

How would you describe your musical journey so far? Was music in your family?
My journey so far has been great and I'm still on my way to success. Music certainly wasn't in my roots. I was born in a middle class Brahmin family; my family couldn't afford to enroll me in classes that charge a bomb. However, I had inborn talent which fortunately was never suppressed by my parents; my father was especially very supportive all along. I learnt music on a very small scale but by the grace of god eventually got opportunities to broaden my horizon and today I'm doing quite a good job.

Let's come to the song 'Sajdaa'. Your rendition has been highly appreciated.  Did you expect this kind of response?
Definitely, we were expecting the huge appreciation that has come our way. The beauty of this song is that everything about it is just perfect. Right from the music composers (Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy) to the singers (me and Rahat Fateh Ali Khan Saab) and finally the lead pair of Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol on whom the song has been featured. Moreover, the song is soulful; our intuitions turned out to be true and the song is creating waves. I'm very happy to see our hard work getting paid off.

What according to you is the soul of this song?
I think the lyrics of the song which describe the unconditional love between SRK and Kajol. I remember I was under the impression that the song was going to be picturised in a dargah or masjid. But to my pleasant surprise, I discovered that the song has been beautifully shot on SRK and Kajol. The amazing chemistry for which the duo is renowned has made this song truly exceptional.
Source: http://www.planetradiocity.com/musicreporter/interview.php?interviewid=438



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being SRK: The ultimate reality TV show

It's a job most Indians would die for — shadowing Shah Rukh Khan wherever he goes. For the last two months, that's exactly what a TV crew has been doing, following the country's biggest star from South Africa to America to London to Mumbai — all for the making of a unique six-part series on the actor, to be telecast on lifestyle channel Discovery Travel & Living. "It's an inner world-outer world kind of documentary," said Khan, speaking exclusively to HT. "Hopefully, the parts that people will get to see of me — at work and at other places — will shed some light on how films and film stars work and offer an insight into how I do things." Khan said he has got to know the crew quite well ("They have been very unobtrusive"). For Discovery Travel & Living, this series will be one of the biggest global productions to come out of India and will be shown all over the world. "We haven't yet decided when we're going to telec

ShahRukh Khan Forum

hi,All SRK fanz just check out the newly launched ShahRukh khan Discussion forum and stay upto date with latest news of SRK...Register now http://www.shahrukh.itrello.com/forums/ http://shahrukhkhan.fotopic.net