Skip to main content

We are the most emotionally worked up team: SRK

Shah Rukh Khan felt that this season of the IPL would define where the Kolkata Knight Riders would go, after a disappointing first two years in the league.

In an interview to the Times of India, Shah Rukh said:

"I wish we had seen a little more success (in 2008 and 2009) because then it would have been like a fulfillment of some of my dreams... This season means defining where we go. I have been a professional through my life. But I think just accepting defeat does not ake you a good team. You've got to go out, play well and win. Sometimes, a bit of fortune needs to be on our side."

Shah Rukh also said that he was willing to go the extra mile for his team in what he could do - that is rope in sponsors, stay with the team and ensure monetary issues are well taken care of.

"I'll be very honest. I have to work really hard with my partners to get this kind of money on board. I spend about 30-40 days a year with this whereas I could earn a lot of money this time doing other things. but I am with them just so that my team has enough money so that it can be run happily. We can't afford to run this thing without our sponsors like Nokia and XXX who give us a lot of money. they give us almost twice or thrice of what other teams get.

I keep asking Dada (Sourav Ganguly) what can be done. We have weak middle order? Okay, work on it. We need a fast bowler? Okay, get one. We need to practice more? Okay, do that. We need to be more friendly? Okay, do that," he said.

He further elaborated on the economics of the Kolkata Knight Riders, who have made money despite their on-field failures.

"I don't know the figures, but our break-in at the Eden Gardens is maximum. So, the seven home games match up to almost the other 20 centres.

The other thing is that I am a brand and I understand that. I endorse a lot of things and why I manage to do that is because a lot of people believe in what I do and they like to follow my style."

Shah Rukh felt that the Kolkata Knight Riders connected with fans because they were the most emotionally worked up team, and people saw that.

"I don't want to take anything from other teams. But I think we are the most emotionally worked up team. We have emotions attached. People see that, people invest in that. We don't see a corporation here. We don't see just professionalism which could be a good or bad thing, I don't know. You see us sad when we're losing. You see us dancing when we win."

On the controversies that appear to keep dogging him Shah Rukh kept a diplomatic stance, but said that he would stand up for what he believed in. He said that on the eve of the previous IPL, a controversy had needlessly arisen when some of what he said was taken as a swipe at Sunil Gavaskar, but he had called up the legend and clarified the situation immediately.

He also said that he was aware of the fake IPL player blog that was created, and categorically denied that it was a marketing gimmick from the side of the franchisee or himself.

"When I say something and I feel I am right, I stand by it and if there's some miscommunication, I also make an effort to clear things. Last year, when the whole controversy about Gavaskar saab happened, I called him up immediately and clarified it. But within 24 hours it was blown into something else, and things got out of hand.

"I have to accept that, if I sell a car and people buy it, then what I say will also be used and people will sell it.

One thing I never used is negative aspects. I don't need to take recourse to anything negative. Something like that [the fake IPL player blog] is unacceptable to me. My team has lost nine matches in a row and some idiot is calling us names. And people are picking it up and making it a joke. Why would I like myself to be laughed at. Without sounding pompous, I am seriously of the biggest stars this country has seen. I look to set an example for youngsters to follow. so why would I try to demean my own self by doing something like this?"

Source: http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/24707/we-are-the-most-emotionally-worked-up-team-srk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being SRK: The ultimate reality TV show

It's a job most Indians would die for — shadowing Shah Rukh Khan wherever he goes. For the last two months, that's exactly what a TV crew has been doing, following the country's biggest star from South Africa to America to London to Mumbai — all for the making of a unique six-part series on the actor, to be telecast on lifestyle channel Discovery Travel & Living. "It's an inner world-outer world kind of documentary," said Khan, speaking exclusively to HT. "Hopefully, the parts that people will get to see of me — at work and at other places — will shed some light on how films and film stars work and offer an insight into how I do things." Khan said he has got to know the crew quite well ("They have been very unobtrusive"). For Discovery Travel & Living, this series will be one of the biggest global productions to come out of India and will be shown all over the world. "We haven't yet decided when we're going to telec

ShahRukh Khan Forum

hi,All SRK fanz just check out the newly launched ShahRukh khan Discussion forum and stay upto date with latest news of SRK...Register now http://www.shahrukh.itrello.com/forums/ http://shahrukhkhan.fotopic.net