Skip to main content

‘I want to do a superhero film’

David Light

7 October 2008

Shah Rukh Khan talks films and the high life in a candid chat on his visit to the city to launch a new property

FROM BOLLYWOOD TO Hollywood and everywhere in between, Shah Rukh Kahn is the undisputed star of the Indian film industry. His back catalogue of work now spans over two decades in which he has played many roles, many of them romantic leads, on the silver screen as well as on television and has marvelled crowds worldwide by performing is songs and dance routines on stage. His two production companies, cricket team, brand associations and now property portfolio increase his popularity and appeal and provide a bridge for international audiences to get into Hindi cinema.

Unconventionally for a Bollywood star Shah Rukh was not born into a showbiz family. He tragically lost both his parents at a young age and embarked on his career completely of his own accord which makes his meteoric rise to superstardom even more incredible. His films always chart very highly even in countries as far afield as the USA and Australia. His face is instantly recognisable to over a billion people and over the years the self confessed family man has built up such a trust between himself and his audience that a brand that manages an association with Khan is worth its weight in gold. It is with this in mind that Shah Rukh was in Dubai on Sunday to launch Shah Rukh Khan Boulevard, a new property development in Ras Al Khaimah. "I have a strange fetish for living spaces," he told the press. "I am not endorsing this product, I have designed it as well, as I am a frustrated architect. I think the greatest material possession a person can have is a home. Spiritually there are a lot of other things, and professionally there are a lot of things but materially the most important thing is to have a home, whatever size, whatever design. I want to give people the choice and they like it. I hope they like it."

A further reason for Shah Rukh Khan's visit was the announcement of the Dubai dates of his new show Temptation in association with the Khaleej Times. This song and dance extravaganza will delight all who attend. With a host of world famous stars and popular tunes it is really an event not to be missed.

City Times caught up with Mr Khan to discuss the upcoming show and lifestyles of the rich and famous.

What can the Dubai audience expect from the new Temptation show?

I have never claimed to reinvent and show anything drastically different. A show is a show is a show. But you try to make it different and this show is designed with that in mind. As far as this Temptation is concerned it is not a rehash because we have new actors onboard; Katrina (Kaif) and Kareena (Kapoor) for example, and the songs have changed. The essence of an Indian show is to do the song and dance routine and to pepper it with a bit of action, this is the formula which remains the same but these guys (organisers) I'm sure will bring a newness to it. As far as completely changing the show I need about a year to rework it but I have designs in mind already so maybe in 2010 people can see a completely new idea that has never been seen before. This show as it is though is as nice as it can be at the moment. Thanks to the sponsors like the Khaleej Times we have enough behind us to make it a big extravaganza.

What made you select the cast you have for Temptation?

We actually go by the popularity of actors and the songs that are running at the moment. Turn on the TV and all you see is Katrina and Kareena with some fabulous movies and songs and Arjun Rampal with Rock On. Everything we do is bound by the finances we have so we can't have so many actors. I'm assuming I'm still popular so I'm with them but a big factor in choosing the cast is also the question of availability. We have had to change some dates because of this.

How do you decide what goes into the show? Is the cast involved in the programme?

When you do a full world tour yes. We sit down and chat and decide what goes in and that is how I make my shows. You have to enjoy every part of it so it is better for the performers to decide. If you don't enjoy the process of making it you won't enjoy the process of doing it. We started in Germany a little while ago and we always film the shows. If it goes on too long or if we think something doesn't work we cut it. This means the show in Dubai will be different from the one in Germany.

As a devoted family man, how do you find juggling your career and family life? What do your children think of their Dad?

They are ok with me I think. They will grow up to think I am a good dad. I have this worry that I should devote a lot of time to them so at 15 if I have to reprimand them I will have gone wrong. I lost my parents at a young age so I feel I should give a lot of time to my kids, the time I didn't get. Juggling the two aspects of life is not difficult if you are a superstar. There are people to do everything. I do two films a year but I spend every waking moment with my kids. I plan my shooting during the holidays so the kids can come with me.

Your next film is Rabi Ne Banaa De Jodi?

Yes that comes out on the 27th. I finished a production called Billoo Barber which is a story of a small town babrber and how his life changes when a superstar comes to his village. It's an interesting story that was made in the South of India and that will come out in February.

What roles are you keen on working on now as you move away from the romantic leads?

I'm not moving away it's just the last girl I worked with was eight years old when my first film came out and how much can you dye your sideburns? I want to do a superhero film for my kids. I like those films, I like action films and want to do a few before I get too old and have too many broken bones to fix. I like to work with people I am comfortable with and some of my friends come up with good ideas so I might take them up on their offers.

Any Hollywood plans with Indian firms now investing in Hollywood studios?

It's not up to me, I always say I am not the one to plan it. Movies have to be offered. Ambani going over and investing is fantastic. I don't have that kind of money to go over with my production company unfortunately but I don't really dream of being a part of Hollywood. I do ok in the Indian film industry and that is enough for me. I don't have the business acumen to go over and be part of that. I put my full efforts into one thing at a time. If I am told to go for an interview that is the most important thing that day. My job is to give expressions to the camera. I don't think of myself as a brand and have never understood people that do. I am a struggling actor. I am not a struggling star but doing twenty thousand songs and trying to make them different each time is a struggle for an actor. I don't think the plan is to get Bollywood to Hollywood. I think the plan is to get Hollywood marketing and talent over to make films in India at a cheaper rate and distributed worldwide. I am not a businessman but I think this is the logical thing to do.

Is nurturing new talent important to you?

As directors and film makers yes but I don't get impressed with actors and actresses because I have never thought highly of myself. I know how I get it right and others have to do the same. Directors I do take on. They come to the production company quite young and now they need to start making movies as they are 22 or 23. It is my duty to make them make films. Whoever they want to cast is their choice but I won't be in the films because it puts too much pressure on them.    

EVENT DETAILS

Temptation Reloaded 2008, October 25, Dubai Festival City Arena

Ticket prices: Premium Dh2,500, VVIP Dh1,000, VIP Dh 500, Family Dh250, General Standing Dh100

Source :http://www.khaleejtimes.com/CityHome.asp?xfile=data/citytimes/2008/October/citytimes_October56.xml&section=citytimes&col=


Comments

  1. arey superhero to tu hai hi, acting karne ki kya zaroorat hai? pur yaar, shahrukh, yeh Amitji ke saath kya lafra chal raha hai? acha nahi lagta hai, tum dono hi mere ankho ke tarey ho. pyar mohabbat se raho, jaise mohabbatein main thy waise nahi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. man u really rock..............
    i love to see ur movies............
    keep rocking.........

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being SRK: The ultimate reality TV show

It's a job most Indians would die for — shadowing Shah Rukh Khan wherever he goes. For the last two months, that's exactly what a TV crew has been doing, following the country's biggest star from South Africa to America to London to Mumbai — all for the making of a unique six-part series on the actor, to be telecast on lifestyle channel Discovery Travel & Living. "It's an inner world-outer world kind of documentary," said Khan, speaking exclusively to HT. "Hopefully, the parts that people will get to see of me — at work and at other places — will shed some light on how films and film stars work and offer an insight into how I do things." Khan said he has got to know the crew quite well ("They have been very unobtrusive"). For Discovery Travel & Living, this series will be one of the biggest global productions to come out of India and will be shown all over the world. "We haven't yet decided when we're going to telec

ShahRukh Khan Forum

hi,All SRK fanz just check out the newly launched ShahRukh khan Discussion forum and stay upto date with latest news of SRK...Register now http://www.shahrukh.itrello.com/forums/ http://shahrukhkhan.fotopic.net