Skip to main content

I do a silly job, but I love doing it

SRK interview: I do a silly job, but I love doing it

I do a silly job, but I love doing it
Catching up with Shah Rukh Khan as he nurses a back injury

Shah Rukh Khan's hurt his back again and as he sat at home, he spoke at length about his health problem, and his life and times in general.
You have hurt your back again?

Yes, I am not doing too well. I am currently bed ridden as you can see. I forget I am 43 and I tried to do a fight scene and got hurt very badly. I hurt my back and my neck. The doctor is coming every two hours to check my state and monitor me closely.

You are still going on and on… aren't you scared of a burnout?

I truly believe that even after so many years I feel like every film is my first and last film. I feel that if this doesn't work out then I won't get another film to work on. So I do it with that desperation, that intensity and that passion. I want to die doing a film.

I think I should not be working so hard. But then I have been made to do something which has been written in my destiny and hence I continue working.

A lot of my friends tell me, 'We've been telling you for the past 15 years that you'll burn out.' But I feel I will not burn out because I am still very excited to wear make-up. In my life I feel that picture abhi baki hai mere dost. I have not completed the most beautiful film of my life yet and I hope the last shot I give is the best.

You try and give a message through your films… like picture abhi baki hai mere dost…

Whenever I produce movies, I always try to give a message.

When I was in college I used to play cricket and football and wanted to represent India in the national team. When I injured my back it seemed like the end of my career. For two years I was depressed but that was the reason why I joined the film industry.

Once I joined the film industry my life changed for the better. Whatever I am today is only because of what happened then.

Like a few years ago both of us - you and me, were young. You wrote something negative about me and I got very angry with you. We fought as you printed something about me because maybe you didn't like me and after which I didn't like you. But now you're making a documentary on me and I feel you must have seen something good in me. In the end we're sitting together after 10 years since that happened. Hence "picture abhi baki hai mere dost".

You haven't been giving time to a lot of your friends who are now angry with you?

There are those who think that I only work and there are some friends who feel that I don't get the time to meet them.

I do 2-3 films and it takes 200 days. I also do around 15 endorsements with an average of 3 days per endorsement, which takes up 50 days.

I also manage to do some 20-25 live shows - whether it's the Filmfare awards or the rehearsals, which take about 40 days.

I also spend two months on my television shows and their promotions. I take about 1 and ½ months break from work to spend with my kids.

So I run short of 70 days in a year and hence I have to work a lot more. In the end, I don't get to meet a lot of people. There are a lot of friends, a lot of people whom I can't give time.

How has your journey been from Deewana to Dard-e-Disco?

Actually to tell you the truth, when I think about my journey from theatre to television to where I am today it doesn't seem so long.

I was watching 'Chak De' right now and it just doesn't feel like it's been two years since we shot the film in Australia. Sometimes the children also pull out old DVDs and tell me 'look at how you used to look before'!

Recently I was watching 'Yes Boss' because my son felt that I can't do somersaults in the air. So I showed the film to him to because I had done a somersault in it. In the film I had somersaulted into the car like Jackie Chan does in his films. So I showed him that I could do it when I was young. But when I was watching the film it didn't feel like it was a long time ago, it felt like it happened just yesterday or the day before.

A few days ago when Juhi (Chawla) had come over with her kids I was just telling her that it doesn't feel like it's been such a long time since we did this film together. I wanted to ask her also if she feels like that.

What is the feeling after so many years of work?

I'll be a 43-year-old man in few months and I still wear make-up in the morning, so how silly is that? I do a silly job, but well, that's the job I love doing. I adore it.

Do your children like your films?

My son's favourite film is 'Baadshah'. When he watches it he tells me that 'the special effects are really bad, Papa'. So now I have to make a Baadshah that my son will like.

You have also acted in remakes of films like Devdas and Don… Trying to prove a point?

When I did 'Devdas', I wanted to say something to the people but everyone had a different take on it. Some said it was ostentatious while some said I was copying Dilip Kumar, etc. The film belonged to another generation but as an actor it's my duty to bring it to the notice of the people of today. They must know that 'Devdas' was a great film.

See my 'Don' and know what a great actor Amitabh Bachchan was.

A writer has alleged that you lifted his story idea to make Om Shanti Om. Comment.

Farah Khan narrated the script of 'Om Shanti Om' many years ago when I was shooting for Mani Rathnam's 'Dil Se'. I did not do the film then. Farah and I then worked on the script of 'Happy New Year' with Amitabh Bachchan. But Amitji fell ill and was hospitalised and we knew that film could not be made because Amitji had a lot of scenes in the film.

I told Farah to bring over the script of 'Om Shanti Om' that she had narrated to me earlier and said that we can make it. So there was no way how we could have taken the script from anyone else as the said person has claimed.

Even the Manoj Kumar issue became big and you had to erase a few scenes.

Manojji is a veteran film person and we respect everyone from the industry. We will do what he wants as long as it makes him happy. There was no intention to hurt him in the first place.

by Ramachandran Srinivasan, Auguest 19, 2008, Masala, United Arab Emirates

Comments

  1. Hi Shahrukh!! Watever you do bt u still rock and i just love this!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being SRK: The ultimate reality TV show

It's a job most Indians would die for — shadowing Shah Rukh Khan wherever he goes. For the last two months, that's exactly what a TV crew has been doing, following the country's biggest star from South Africa to America to London to Mumbai — all for the making of a unique six-part series on the actor, to be telecast on lifestyle channel Discovery Travel & Living. "It's an inner world-outer world kind of documentary," said Khan, speaking exclusively to HT. "Hopefully, the parts that people will get to see of me — at work and at other places — will shed some light on how films and film stars work and offer an insight into how I do things." Khan said he has got to know the crew quite well ("They have been very unobtrusive"). For Discovery Travel & Living, this series will be one of the biggest global productions to come out of India and will be shown all over the world. "We haven't yet decided when we're going to telec

'Every Damn Time,' Tweets Shah Rukh Khan, Detained At US Airport

Movie star Shah Rukh Khan, detained at an airport in the US for questioning again, tweeted on Thursday: "Every damn time!" The 50-year-old actor was detained at the Los Angeles airport this time. A man with the same name is on a US no-fly list of 80,000 people. He took to Twitter to voice his exasperation. I fully understand & respect security with the way the world is, but to be detained at US immigration every damn time really really sucks. @iamsrk  The brighter side is while waiting caught some really nice Pokemons. @iamsrk  Mr Khan, one of the most successful stars in the Hindi film industry, has been held back at US airports thrice in seven years. American officials tell NDTV that during immigration checks, what pops up is a name without any other detail to help draw a distinction. In April 2012, Mr Khan was held back for over two hours at the airport in New York on a visit to address students at Yale University. He had joked later at Yale: "Whenever I start fee