Skip to main content

The Karan Thapar, The SRK And The SMS!

Who has not heard of Karan Thapar and his syndicated colunts in a leading daily. Well, here is an interesting and amusind anecdote about Karan and SRK, so sit back and enjoy as Tahpar relates it


Shah Rukh, Mummy and Me

"For someone who is supposed to be intelligent you, can at times be incredibly stupid. Don't you ever pause to think before you shoot your mouth off?"

That, incidentally, is the sort of thing my closest friends repeatedly say to me. It's their way of saying they care. Usually I smile disarmingly and dismiss the criticism. I'm never offended nor, to be honest, do I take it seriously.

Last week, however, I realised how right they were. If only I had listened to them earlier, I would not have made such a prized fool of myself. But then, we all learn the hard way. It started when my mobile phone began beeping. I rushed to pick it up only to find I was in the process of receiving an SMS message. Now, I receive several, and often they can be perplexing. This one was straightforward except for the sender's name. It read : "This is to tell you my number has changed to x x x. Love, SRK."

Who, I asked myself, is SRK? The initials meant nothing to me and I could not think of who might they belong to. The more I tried, the less I seemed to be able to work things out. So, curiousbut not wanting to appear rude, I rang the number given. It was answered by a voicemail.

"Hi." I started off cheerfully. "Thanks for your message informing me of your new number but I can't work out what your initials stand for. Sorry about this but my mind is a complete blank. So be a sport and fill in the mystery. Let me know who you are."

I thought I had been rather clever. To my mind, my message felt like discretion itself. Polite, witty though self-deprecating yet to the point. In fact, so pleased was I with myself that I walked out of my office and started to tell my colleagues what I had just done.

"Christ!" said Vishal, when I finished. "You're joking, aren't you?" "No." I said a little startled. "Why would I be joking? You can see the SMS on my mobile. It's still there." "Not the message." He continued, "It's your reply I'm talking about. Surely you know who SRK is?" "No," I insisted. "I don't."

But strangely I don't recall Vishal telling me. I'm not sure what happened but I guess someone or something interrupted us and the subject slipped from our attention. Anyway, I soon forgot all about it. Until later, that night.

I was sitting at my mother's when it happened. The family tends to congregate around the television pretending to listen to the news. Actually, instead of listening, we all talk simulataneously - or do I mean quarrel? - and none of us is any wiser after the broadcast. That night was no different until the phone rang. I'm not sure how I heard it above the din but what I did notice is that as the others heard me talking the room hushed to pin drop silence.

"SRK?" I said. "What do you mean why you're SRK?"

And then suddenly, like a blow on my head, I recognized the voice. I've heard it a thousand times before. I recalled its particular tone, its sepacial way of speaking, its half-mocking quality. Oh my god, of course, this is SRK! It had to be. The initials fit perfectly. Why, why, why had I not thought of it earlier?"

"I'm really sorry Shah Rukh." I started to splutter. "I never thought it was you. You must think I'm an ***. The problem is I know you as Shah Rukh Khan and not SRK."

"No, the fault is mine." The voice from the other side reassuringly replied. "It's just that everyone in Mumbai calls me SRK so I assumed the initials would make sense. But I guess this proves I am not as popular as I think I am!"

He was being generous and excusing my lapse. But the mistake was mine. I suddenly realised why Vishal had been so surprised. To him, SRK made immediate sense and he couldn't fathom why I was thrown away by the same initials.

I was still apologising when Mummy interrupted me. I was repeating for the umpteenth time that I was an idiot. Shah Rukh, I suspect, was beginning to believe me. I can be very convincing when it's not in my interest to be. That's when Mummy spoke up.

"Tell him his mother thinks so too. In fact, not just an idiot but a complete bloody fool!"

So I did. I interrupted myself and conveyed her message instead.

"Don't worry, mums always think their sons are idiots," Shah Rukh replied. And then, dropping the famous voice almost to a whisper, he added. "Sometimes they're right."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being SRK: The ultimate reality TV show

It's a job most Indians would die for — shadowing Shah Rukh Khan wherever he goes. For the last two months, that's exactly what a TV crew has been doing, following the country's biggest star from South Africa to America to London to Mumbai — all for the making of a unique six-part series on the actor, to be telecast on lifestyle channel Discovery Travel & Living. "It's an inner world-outer world kind of documentary," said Khan, speaking exclusively to HT. "Hopefully, the parts that people will get to see of me — at work and at other places — will shed some light on how films and film stars work and offer an insight into how I do things." Khan said he has got to know the crew quite well ("They have been very unobtrusive"). For Discovery Travel & Living, this series will be one of the biggest global productions to come out of India and will be shown all over the world. "We haven't yet decided when we're going to telec

ShahRukh Khan Forum

hi,All SRK fanz just check out the newly launched ShahRukh khan Discussion forum and stay upto date with latest news of SRK...Register now http://www.shahrukh.itrello.com/forums/ http://shahrukhkhan.fotopic.net