Skip to main content

‘My Name Is Khan’ hits box office, earns Rs 40 cr in opening weekend

Having managed to set the box office cash register ringing by generating close to Rs 40 crore in its opening weekend (Friday to Sunday) from India and abroad, Shahrukh Khan starrer My Name Is Khan (MNIK) has managed to find place amongst the top grossing Bollywood films of recent times.

The few other films to have grossed in the same range as MNIK in the opening weekends include 3 Idiots, Ghajini and Love Aaj Kal, say film trade pundits. Trade pundits expect the movie to gross over Rs 100 crore before the first week run is over. Only other films to have managed to cross the milestone in recent past are 3 Idiots and Ghajini, both starring Aamir Khan.

"MNIK opened to packed houses across all major international centres just like it did within the country. Combining the initial collection figures from UK, US, Australia and other overseas centre, the film would have grossed over Rs 40 crore in the first-three days," says a leading film distributor from Mumbai.

The much-awaited and controversial MNIK had to face stiff opposition from Shiv Sena workers who did not wanted the people to see the film in protest of a pro-Pakistani statement made by Shahrukh Khan last month after the IPL-3 auctions.

In India, the film was initially released across 1,300 screens.

Another 500-600 prints went to the overseas centre. Most multiplexes in the country like PVR, Inox, Fame, Big Cinemas, Cinemax and Fun Cinemas among others have witnessed 100% bookings for the weekend shows.

"The bookings for all evening shows on Monday and Tuesday for MNIK are also overwhelming. We may see full-house even in the coming weekdays going by the advance booking figures," a senior executive in DT Cinemas in Gurgaon said.

Source: http://www.financialexpress.com/news/-My-Name-Is-Khan--hits-box-office--earns-Rs-40-cr-in-opening-weekend/579653/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SRK plunges 300 feet

Shah Rukh Khan More Pics It seems that superstar Shah Rukh Khan has still not come out of his superhero persona. After doing some death-defying stunts for sci-fi thriller " Ra.One", the actor took a 300 feet plunge while shooting for Farhan Akhtar's " Don 2" in Berlin. "Just did an over 300 feet base jump for Don... because you all make me believe I can fly. Time to tell kids about the birds and the bees... ha ha," Shah Rukh wrote on microblogging site Twitter. "My jump was last shot of day. Want to thank my duplicate and action team, to do it before me for wide shots and make me feel confident about it," he added. Read more: SRK plunges 300 feet - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/SRK-plunges-300-feet/articleshow/6742053.cms#ixzz12LKP6dMM

‘Ra.One’ heads to shoot overseas

SRK’s superhero home production ‘Ra.One’ has completed its shooting schedule in India and is heading to overseas for its remaining shoot. According to the close hands in production, now only the photo shoot remains in India. Rest of the shooting will now happen in London. The movie stars Shah Rukh Khan as superman with Kareena Kapoor as his wife and Arjun Ramphal as the bad guy. The film is slated for a year-end release. in reference to: "SRK’s superhero home production ‘Ra.One’ has completed its shooting schedule in India and is heading to overseas for its remaining shoot. According to the close hands in production, now only the photo shoot remains in India. Rest of the shooting will now happen in London. The movie stars Shah Rukh Khan as superman with Kareena Kapoor as his wife and Arjun Ramphal as the bad guy. The film is slated for a year-end release." - IndiaGlitz - ‘Ra.One’ heads to shoot overseas - Bollywood Movie News ( view on Google Sidewiki )